Know Your Bets Before You Play
Horse racing can be quite complicated to understand especially for football when you don’t know much about. But once you learn the nuances of the race, it can be a lot of fun and very challenging to pick the right horse and place the correct bet. Though a lot depends on luck, you need to calculate and place your bet wisely.
Horse racing is a high level of gambling where big money is played. Many prefer this gamble to the casinos because you can see the performance and cheer along with an entire stadium while enjoying some good food and great company. You don’t have to sit in a dark room filled with people and smoke.
Know The Bets
Now, if you are going to a horse race and plan on betting, you need to know what your options are. The different types of bets usually placed in a horse race are broadly classified into straight wagers and exotic wagers.
Here you get to place a bet on any one of the horses running the race., you get to choose the horse and the place based on the type of the bet.
- Win – In this, you are betting a particular horse will win the race
- Place – In this bet, the chosen horse has to come first or second. If it places in the top two, you get to win a certain amount. Though this amount is considerable lesser than the “win” bet, it is more secured and the chances are higher
- Show – Here the chosen horse must place in one of the first three spots. Here the chance of you winning is even higher but the amount is lesser
- Across The Board – Also known as the “combo-straight-wager”, this bet is where you select a horse to win, place or show. Meaning, the chosen horse must finish in the first three spots. As these are 3 individual bets, the overall amount involved will be higher but the chances of winning will also be higher. If the horse finishes first, you get to collect all the three bets, if it comes in second, you get to collect the place and show bets. If it comes in third, you get to collect the show bets.
- Win/Place And Place/ Show Bets – Here you will be making two different bets. In the first type, the horse has to come in first or second. If it comes first, you can collect both win and place bets money. If it comes in second, you can collect only the place money.
In the second type of bet, you are betting the horse will come in second or third. If it comes in second, you can collect both place and show bets. If it comes in third, you can collect only the show bets.
Here, you can place a bet on multiple horses in a single bet. Here your bet is more spread out, giving you higher chances to win but it comes at a cost. These bets will cost you more than the straight bets. Also, if you don’t choose well, you stand to lose a lot more than you would in a straight bet.
- Exacta – Here you will choose two horses and also the places. The horses must come in forst and second in the order you predicted, for you to win the bet. The pay off here will be very high as the chances are less and risk involved is high. Usually it is the well experienced and seasoned handicappers, who place such bets.
- Quinella – Here, again you choose two horses to come in first and second places. However, the order can change in this bet. Any of the two chosen horses can come first and second. Though this sounds very similar to “Exacta”, this is a single bet with a lesser payout.
- Trifecta – Here you will choose the three horses that will come in the first three spots in the race. In a regular trifecta bet, you will have to specify which place each of the selected horses is expected to come in. you can collect the bets only if the horses come in as per the given order. The other option is box trifecta where the three horses should come in the first three spots but order is immaterial. This will increase your chances manifold and the cost of the bet will also go up.
- Superfecta – Here you will choose four horses to come in the first four spots. Again, here you can go in for the fixed positions or box the bet and win if the four horses come in the top four spots, irrespective of the order.